Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Wine Flash: Ironsides Cellars' 2014 "Ironsides Reserve" red blend [California]

I had an interesting wine a few weeks ago at my Dad's and wanted to spotlight it. It's a 2014 Napa Valley red blend from Ironsides Cellars, an offshoot of the vintners behind Ninety Plus Cellars. I've reviewed a lot of red blends before, but none with this particular mix:

  • 33% Merlot (Oakville, CA)
  • 25% Zinfandel (Rutherford, CA)
  • 24% Petit Syrah (Rutherford, CA)
  • 14% Malbec (Napa Valley, CA)
  • 4% Cabernet Sauvignon (Red Hills, CA)

It pours a nice purple color in the glass. Initially, it's acidic and deep with a slight tinge of bitterness, reminding me a bit of the "Bulgariana" I had a while back. In today's wine, the bitterness is just a hint, with a short finish of sweet blackberry notes. The wine was 14.6% ABV, so a bit "hot", but didn't taste like it. 

I was happy with how this turned out. Nice and bold, with a flavor profile different from what I usually have. I was surprised at how tangy and bitter it was, but could definitely appreciate the deep, strong flavors. Also, the wine was aged in French oak barrels for 18 months, which definitely accounts for some of that flavoring. I think this bottle was something like $25, so not super cheap. But if you're into super bold wines, give this a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment