Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, December 19, 2016

Ballast Point Brewing Co. - "Peppermint Victory At Sea" imperial porter

Here's another Ballast Point entry, one which I saw back in 2015, actually, and passed it over. But my curiosity got the better of me, and after keeping an eye out for it, I bought one and tried it. It's their "Peppermint Victory at Sea", a 10.00% ABV imperial stout.

Now, OK, I know what you're thinking. Peppermint. Gross. And I would agree with you, were we talking about those peppermint pinwheel candies. However, this beer isn't made with peppermint candies - just coffee, vanilla, and mint. They have a non-mint version, just called their "Victory at Sea", which I believe is year-round.


It pours black and generates a puffy white head. I love the aroma - very clean vanilla and coffee. It's great when a beer smells as advertised.


It's dark, almost black, in the glass.


It's milky and strong, with some sweet "burnt edges" reminiscent of a Russian imperial stout. The PVaS is heavy on roasted espresso, and the mint is present but soft - mostly on the finish. The more pronounced tastes are vanilla and espresso, though, and there is a noticeable vanilla bean flavor on the finish and aftertaste.

I actually have several of these tucked away to see how they age. I have a hunch that they'll turn out nice. If you like dark coffee with some vanilla tossed in, you may want to try this beer. And luckily, it's super cheap - $5.99 at Whole Foods. Really a good deal given what you get.

Update! Since originally writing the above review, I have encountered a "Coconut Victory at Sea" which I dutifully purchased and drank. I regret to inform you while it does taste like coconut, it tastes like artificial candy coconut, which is totally not OK in my opinion.




No comments:

Post a Comment