Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, November 20, 2016

The Vineyard at Grandview - 2013 "Grand Rouge" red blend [Pennsylvania]

Here's a wine that I sampled last month at the fine Castlerigg Wine Shop in Carlisle, PA. It was part of a flight I ordered, and I wanted to spotlight this one in particular since it was one of my favorites.

It's a sampling of The Vineyard at Grandview's 2013-vintage "Grande Rouge", a red blend consisting of 52% merlot, 29% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet franc (a personal favorite) and 4% Petit Verdot. Not a bad blend. But the cool part is that this wine was made in Pennsylvania!


The Vineyard at Grandview is a winery located in Mount Joy, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.  In addition to the vines, there's a tasting room, a big deck, and space for weddings and events. Looks nice, right?


This is actually the first wine I've sampled in my life that's made in Pennsylvania - but it doesn't surprise me that the climate of east-central PA is good for growing grapes. Pennsylvania has a moderate climate, and the landscape of Lancaster County and its environs is great for farming (just ask the Amish and Mennonite farmers out that way.) There's even a Pennsylvania Winery Association and a Pennsylvania Wine Trail. Where was this when I studied in Carlisle?

Despite this rich wine history, I haven't had the chance to try a PA wine until now. Luckily, Castlerigg has a bunch and this one caught my eye. It's a small pour, so I'm only working with an ounce or so of the stuff.  Color is nice - a deep, rich red. Not a lot of aroma.


I had to taste very conservatively because of the volume. But initially, the wine was bold, slightly sweet, and had an almost port-like strength to it. There was a bit of smokiness there which I loved. Lots of flavor here - mostly of sweetness and some cassis, and a finish that reminded me of cocoa shells. I enjoyed the richness of the flavor here, which was very full-bodied. I wouldn't mind serving with shepherd's pie (perhaps right up the street at Market Cross pub!) By the glass, it's $12.75 and $44.75 by the bottle.

About Castlerigg - if you're ever in Carlisle, do drop by. It's affiliated with both The Vineyard at Grandview and Seven Mountains Wine Cellars in Spring Mills, PA. Proprietor Alan Tumblin and his staff are super welcoming, very knowledgeable, and the atmosphere is great for events or a personal tasting. They have a pretty wide variety of wines available, so you're bound to find something you like. Also of note - they have a jar full of oyster crackers at the bar, so you can cleanse your palette between samples of wine. Not many places have the mind to do this, so you can tell they know their stuff! It also helps that it's right next to both the Carlisle House and the Comfort Suites, so it's very easy to get to.



[photo of Vineyard at Grandview courtesy of PennLive.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment