Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Terrapin Brewing Co. - "14th Anniversary" ale

I came across this in Whole Foods a month or so back, and it looked interesting. It's Terrapin's "14th Anniversary" ale, a 7.5% ABV red ale, brewed in celebration of Terrapin's 14th year. It's also the 100th unique beer they've crafted. What intrigued me was the description - the beer is billed as a "tart Belgian red." This is a combination that I've never seen before, so I figured it was my scientific obligation to investigate. 


It pours rather nicely, is a light caramel color when poured and generates a buff-colored head. 


I'm always a fan of the red color. And when candled, it's pleasantly cloudy.


This is rather peculiar. Its Belgian heritage definitely shows, with some mild tartness throughout and a pleasant dank malty flavor. There's a tinge of wheat in there, specifically on the aftertaste, and it's really not bitter at all. More sour, like a wild ale. In a way, it reminds me of Peak Organic's "King Crimson." It has the same slightly resin, tangy taste to it. 

I think the different flavors mash up nicely, and it's an intriguing take on the Belgian-inspired red ale genre. I believe this was $8.99, so if you're interested in those taste elements, it's surely worth a try. I think this would be great for fall, and would pair nicely with bratwurst, some cheese curds, or a cheese plate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment