Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, August 23, 2015

Tabacleria Drew Estate: ACID "Extra Ordinary Larry" (Nicaragua)

Got this smoke in a Drew Estate ACID sampler tin a few months back. After a couple of months of humidifying, my brother Dan and I each smoked our respective cigars on my last night in Seattle. Behold the "Extra Ordinary Larry."


It's a 6 x 60 maduro cigar part of their purple "Juggernaut" line, billed as medium-strength. I like the pigtail cap (the curly tail of tobacco at the top) and the shaggy, unfinished foot (the tuft of tobacco at the bottom of the cigar.) Both are stylistic concerns, just for fun, although the shaggy foot makes it a little easier to light up, since there's more material close to the flame. The pigtail cap you can twist off, which I did, so you don't really need a cigar cutter. Sort of has that paisano feel; no fancy cutter needed...just grab one out of your peasant work shirt, twist it off, and start smoking.

Anyways - lit 'er up, took a minute or so but got it going. It had a tough draw in places - for the most part, OK. I puffed and puffed, waiting for the infused oils and spices to show themselves...but no such luck. It burnt evenly, for the most part, with a grey mottled ash as you can see below:


I was a little surprised at how natural this tasted. I was expecting something a little more infused, with a more pronounced flavor, since it's part of the purple Juggernaut line. But it lacks some of the aggressive flavors of the ACID line. The tobacco flavors were there, and there was a little bit of dark earthiness at the end, but so far it's one of Drew's least flavorful cigars, in my opinion, It works well as a base natural smoke, and the tobacco is of high quality, I just wasn't feeling the infusions this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment