Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Friday, August 21, 2015

Sound Brewery - "Ursus Spelaeus" imperial stout

I grabbed this last week at Edison City Alehouse in South Tacoma, WA. It's Sound Brewery's "Ursus Spelaeus", a 10.00% ABV Belgian-style imperial stout. I was intrigued by the use of Belgian yeast in an imperial stout, and being the adventurous fellow I am, I figured I'd give it a shot. By the way, Ursus spelaeus is the Latin binomial nomenclature for the cave bear, a now-extinct species of ice-age mammal:


The beer (not to be confused with the bear) is a deep brown color, almost black, and has a dark tan head. Which also describes the bear.


Hmmm, the beer is straightforward and good. It's sweet and a little sour, mostly dark tastes, not really Belgian as far as I can tell. It's a little sugary, mostly on the way out, with some pleasing fresh aftertastes. It tastes similar to some other imperial stouts I have had, with the notable exception of no roasted malt / toasted tastes.

This beer cost $10.60 at Edison. So after drinking it, I'm not sure it's something I'd stock up on. I like the strength of it, and it drinks below its weight (meaning it doesn't taste like it's 10 points) but in terms of taste and flavor profile, it's a pretty straightforward beer with little to complicate it. That can be good, if it's what you're looking for. That being said,  it's also around $11, so there's that cost-benefit consideration as well. Personally, I'm not sure I'd pay that money for what's in the bottle. Still - good to try, I wonder how this would be on cask or draft or nitro.


No comments:

Post a Comment