Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, March 27, 2021

Oxbow Brewing Co. - "Sap Haus" smoked lager

I came across this single beer at Each Peach Market in Mount Pleasant and picked it up on a whim. It's from Oxbow Brewing Co., based in Portland, ME. My brother and I visited in 2019, and got stuck in a downpour as we worked our way through their taplist. They seemed to focus on lighter beers and sours, and in fact the (few) Oxbow beers we've sold at the shop have been on the lighter end. Since I'm a fan of smoked beers and maple syrup I figured I'd give it a go. 


This 7.00% ABV dark lager is sort of a murky root beer color, with a swift pour and moderate, bone-colored head. 

Interesting. It's got a touch of malts, and overall the presentation is light and sweet. The maple syrup comes through as the beer develops, with a touch of cracker / salt / wood smoke at the end. There's a touch of lingering sweetness on the aftertaste, as well. But overall very light, and it's worth noting that this beer is much lighter in body than other smoked beers / rauchbiers I've had. Many, including Aecht Shenkerla, tend to have a much thicker, heavier feel so it's nice to encounter a beer in the style that is lighter. 

Additionally, I like that it tastes, well, as described. Each flavor is recognizable, makes an appearance, and doesn't overpower its neighbors. The flavor profile is somewhat unseasonable, but the light body and drinkability make it a winner for me. This single 16oz cost me $5.99, and worth it at that price. 


No comments:

Post a Comment