Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, July 4, 2016

Ballast Point Brewing Co.: "Thai Chili Wahoo" witbier

Well, here's another Ballast Point beer. You all may be sick of me talking up the brewery, but I'm sure as heck not sick of drinking their stuff! Everything I try by Ballast Point is good, so no reason not keep on checking out what they have to offer. This time, it's their spring seasonal, the "Thai Chili Wahoo." If you recall, I tried this on draft last April at the fine Brouwer's Cafe in Seattle. That was the one and only time I had it, and I remember liking it, so why not give it a spin? According to BeerAdvocate, it's classified as a witbier and clocks in at 4.5% ABV.


It pours very quickly, with a thin head that disappears almost instantly. It acts more like soda than it does beer. There's a sharp aroma of ginger.


As you can see, the beer is very clear - almost transparent. It's like a light bulb when candled.


I'm really digging this. It's very carbonated, with sharp and "forward" pepper flavors. The ginger is bright and direct, and the fizziness adds a nice texture. It's much thinner than others beers of this type - I think ginger beer is a good example of the texture. The flavor remains long after swallowing, and it presents a very fresh ginger aftertaste. Very nice!

I've so far bought 5 bottles of this stuff - really enjoyable, refreshing, and an stand-out example of a sessionable pepper beer. The ginger is great, basically what I was hoping Foley Brothers' Ginger Wheat should have been. Plus, it's $5.99 for a 22oz, which I still honestly do not understand how Whole Foods can get away charging that price. They could sell it for $9.99 and I'd still buy it. Short answer is that if you want an interesting beer to try, and are not afraid of a little spice, pick this up. It's well worth a shot.



No comments:

Post a Comment