Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Beer Flash: Market Garden Brewery's "Wallace Tavern" Scotch ale / wee heavy

Beer Flash! Today I'd like to spotlight a rather pleasant Scotch ale, also known as a "wee heavy", that I found at Cleveland's own Market Garden Brewery. My colleagues and I headed here after an afternoon of shopping at West Side Market (where I got some awesome locally-made jerky.)

Market Garden brews their own beer at a facility a few blocks away, but has a  nice beer garden / restaurant right next to the market. They have a generous tap list, around 15 varieties,  and like Molly Pitcher Brewing Co., Market Garden has a good variety of taps. They have everything from a stout on nitro to a weissbier, and many in between, so I had a lot from which to choose.

I decided on their Scotch ale because it's a variety that I don't see too often. Scotch ales are a type of strong ale which originated in Scotland. Traditionally, the ales are medium-dark and of moderate alcohol content. This example is 8.00% ABV.


It's a deep caramel color in the glass, and has little aroma. It was pleasantly sweet, a bit bready, with a maltiness that was very tasty. There was also a slight smokiness in the finish. A nice take on the style, and at 8.00%, not too heavy or boozy to stop with just one. I, however, opted for their brown ale for my second beer.

I enjoyed it. I paired it with Market Garden's Scotch eggs - hard-boiled eggs wrapped in chorizo and spices, battered, and fried. A nice pairing for a nice venue!


1 comment:

  1. I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. The Market House Tavern

    ReplyDelete