Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Nat Sherman - Metropolitan Banker robusto gordo (Dominican Republic)

Here's another cigar review for you all - it's called the "Metropolitan Banker," another entry in the Nat Sherman line of fine cigars. This is the other half of a two-cigar combo that my brother got me for my birthday, the first of which you may recall I reviewed this past summer. This one measures 5" long by 70 ring gauge, or just over an inch in diameter. It's quite the cigar.


I like the color of the leaf - it's a Connecticut shade tobacco wrapper. The format is not something I usually have - as you can see, it's a rather big cigar that would demand at least an hour or and hour +15 to truly enjoy. Here's a nickel for scale:


The first light was a bit tough - it seemed to be pretty tightly-wrapped and didn't light or draw terribly well. But, I eventually got it going, and as you can see, it has a dirty grey ash. The cigar burned evenly for the most part after that.


 I was a little underwhelmed by the taste, but came to appreciate it as time went on. According to various online cigar merchants who sell it, it's billed as a "medium-/full-bodied" cigar with a "creamy" flavor. I'm not entirely sure I agree with that - the cigar is generally straightforward in taste, with a primarily grassy taste that is very mild.

The first part reminds me of a halfway point between a Thompson Tusker and a Cuvee Blanc, the latter of which has a distinct mineral taste missing in the Metropolitan Banker. The second half is drier and harsher but still has that Thompson Tusker feel. The flavor profile turned to medium, not mild, but still grassy with a strong taste of straw on tongue after smoking. It's not creamy,  as described, but grassy. And unlike the Cuvee Blanc, the Met Banker has no mineral tastes.

Despite the issues with the draw, it's a smoke I'd try again. I always enjoy having premium cigars, and Nat Shermans are certainly worth trying. The format was a lot of fun, and perhaps this cigar would have benefited from more time in the humidor.

No comments:

Post a Comment