Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, November 16, 2014

DC Brau - "On The Wings of Armageddon" American double imperial IPA

Today's beer is a powerful American double imperial IPA from local brewer DC Brau. It's their "On The Wings of Armageddon," a badass name if I ever heard one.


It clocks in at a respectable 9.2% ABV. Out in the world, it's only sold on draft - which is how I'm enjoying for the purposes of this review - but it's available on a very limited basis in canned form at the DC Brau brewery on the Maryland border in far Northeast DC. That canning run is infrequent and often sells out easily, but luckily, some acquaintances of mine we able to score me a 6-pack. Otherwise, it's available occasionally at D'Vines in Columbia Heights for growler fill. 


Just pouring it out into my glass yields crazy fruit and hops aromas even from a couple of feet away. There's a thick, white, foamy head that is persistent, with nice lacing in the glass. The color of the beer is a pleasing amber, and turns a cloudy orange when candled.


I let it sit for a few moments then dove right in.Whoa!

It's got waves of delicious tastes riding on a perfect current of hoppiness. There's lots of deep, mellow hop flavors, some citrus, and a slight edge of citrus bitterness that gives it a nice little nip. Dry bread tastes throughout. The real clincher is that the beer is so smooth. There's tons of hops but no aggravating bitterness or objectionable burning - just full flavor and surprisingly heady. Finish is warm and crisp, and aftertaste is very faint, with a pleasant flavor of hops.

I'm very happy with this beer. It reminds me of Great Divide's "Hercules" double IPA in terms of texture and taste. I'm really a fan of these juggernaut IPAs that hit you with a sledgehammer of flavor and hops, and I'm definitely going to make it a staple of my growler fills whenever I can, or perhaps finally make a day trip to the brewery to grab some more of their limited-edition cans.




No comments:

Post a Comment