Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Stone Brewing Co. - Stochasticity Project Quadrotriticale quadrupel

If anyone is a fan of Star Trek: The Original Series, the name of this beer may be familiar to you. This beer, however, is not a "Russian inwention" as quipped by Walter Koenig's Chekov in the classic episode Trouble with Tribbles. It's a special one-off creation by the brewmasters at Escondido, CA-based Stone Brewing Co. Triticale is a real thing - it's a genetically-engineered hybrid of wheat and rye (and gets its name from a portmanteau of the Latin designations for each respective grain.)

This beer is part of Stone's "Stochasticity Project", which according to the back of the bottle, is a special line of beers "...where exotic notions, ingredients, and ideas coalesce at an interesting and often unexpected endpoint." Well, needless to say, I'm a huge fan of beers that mix it up and provide new and interesting flavors. I also am a Star Trek fan, so the name definitely caught my eye!

I actually have had this twice - once last week when work colleagues (and friends) Dave and Catherine came over for dinner. We all liked it so much that I had to go out and get a second. My buddies at D'Vines in Columbia Heights carry it. As for the cost, it's pretty standard as far as craft beers go - it cost me $10.50 for a 22oz bomber.


But let's cut to the chase: the beer has a caramelly-brown eye to it, smooth pouring with a fast-dissipating head.


When held to the light, it's a bright reddish-brown.


The nose is yeasty and sweet, with a slight tinge of sour alcohol flavors. Something I'd definitely expect for a quadrupel (and one at 9.3% ABV, at that!)

It tastes great - it's smooth, very polished, with hints of sourness and spices that go very well together. I'm noticing some sugary tastes along with a definite taste of raisin. Like many Belgian quads, it's very sweet and yeasty, but this beer is curiously smooth. The finish is warm and soft, and the aftertaste is one of sugary yeast that's totally pleasant. 

I must say, I'm really enjoying this beer. It's polished and tasty, with the underlying strength that I'd expect from a Belgian-style quadrupel. I had no problem drinking the whole thing in one sitting, despite it being almost one-tenth pure alcohol. The alcohol is masked very well and provides for an amazingly drinkable beer. I also appreciate the special Belgian sugar they use in this beer - called "Dark Candi." Totally delicious and smooth!

Overall, it's a delicious and drinkable beer that I wouldn't hesitate to drink again. Seek this out if you can - you won't be disappointed!



No comments:

Post a Comment