Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Molly Pitcher Brewing Co. - "Peanut Butter Porter" porter

Here's a beer I tried a while back and never got around to posting. It's a 5.5% ABV peanut butter porter from Molly Pitcher Brewing Co. As you can see, it comes in a 32oz can sometimes called a "crowler." I talked about the crowler canning process back in July when I was in Cleveland at Great Lakes Brewery.


I was pretty excited to see it on the tap list at Molly Pitcher, and of course couldn't help but make natural pre-comparisons to DuClaw Brewing's "Sweet Baby Jesus" and, later, "For Pete's Sake!" So far as I know, those two are the only (or at least, the most popular and readily-available) peanut butter beers out there. So let's see how Molly Pitcher handles it.

It pours root beer-colored, generating a khaki-colored head. Nice color, lots of foam and fizz.


As it sits and opens to the air, it smells delightfully of peanut butter - a very pleasant aroma. Perhaps stronger than the "Sweet Baby Jesus" but slightly different. Hard to put into words. You know how not all peanut butter smells or tastes the same? That's what I mean here.


As expected, the taste is very similar to the DuClaw beers I mentioned above, although while they were silky and sweet and heavy, today's beer is a bit lighter and more carbonated. The tasty peanut butter flavor is still there, but the added fizz and lighter profile makes it a nice alternative and reduces somewhat the lingering sweetness that I experienced with the other peanut butter beers. Some flavored stouts or porters have the tendency to be overly sweet or sugary, and fortunately the Molly Pitcher offering dodges that.

I like the fact it's 5.5% ABV, as well - that makes it more sessionable and easier to power through a 32oz! Overall I'm satisfied with this. Molly Pitcher makes good, tasty beer and this is no exception. I only make it up to Carlisle a couple times per year, but I of course always stop by the brewery to grab some tasty offerings.


No comments:

Post a Comment