Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Beer Flash: Firestone Walker's 2014 "XVIII Anniversary" ale

What better way to start the new year off right than a snapshot of a very fine blend of aged ales from Paso Robles, CA-based Firestone Walker Brewing Co.  They make some good stuff, including the "Luponic Distortion" and the "Wookey Jack." Many of their six-packs are widely available here in DC. They also release a series of anniversary ales, including this one, released in 2014 to commemorate their 14th anniversary. Exactly two years ago, I tried this beer for the first time and reviewed it. And, as noted in the review, I was bought a second, intending on cellaring for a few years and seeing how it aged.


You may read that I often talk about (and review) aging beers. Not all beers are meant to age, and an even smaller minority (read: very few) are meant to age past a couple of years. I originally planned to give this beer a year and a half - since I didn't want risk the flavors entirely melting away - and was hoping to crack it open mid-2016 to celebrate a special occasion. But because 2016 saw so few causes for celebration I decided to hold off until today, and start the new year with a fine ale.

Cracks open fine, pours a deep brown. Check out that nice root beer coloring:


I can tell it definitely mellowed out a bit, but still maintained the velvety consistency I remember. It's thick and smooth, with no alcohol flavors (despite being over 13% ABV) starts off chicory woody and nutty with a very woody and whiskey-like finish. Very tasty and full-bodied with that same texture as before, although not a lot of chocolate in this one.

Since most of the ales blended in this beer are barrel-aged, it makes sense that it would hold up well to aging. I shared this brew with my colleague Keenan, who was particularly taken by the lack of heavy alcohol notes. I tend to agree. Most beers mellow out as they age, and I think this one was had at just the right moment. It didn't lose flavor, but the flavors were enhanced slightly by the softness that comes with age. Too bad I don't have another one of these! But they may have them at Churchkey in DC (for a price!) I followed this up with a Quintero cigar from Cuba (which I reviewed after having this ale for the first time, oddly enough).





No comments:

Post a Comment