Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Thursday, May 25, 2023

Beer flight in Amsterdam!

Well, I'm in Amsterdam. For those unaware, I've decided to spend about 18 days on vacation in Europe, hopping from one locale to the other and trying the local libations (among, you know, checking out places of historical, intellectual, and artistic import.) I'll be in Paris next, then Luxembourg, then German, then Lisbon, and finally (very briefly) through Casablanca, Morocco before heading back stateside. Watch this space for snapshots of my journey, and follow my Instagram @baconesque for more. 

After a morning spent at the Rijksmuseum, I headed south through the Museum Quarter for about a half-mile to Gollem's Proeflocall, a cafe on Overtoom street. I found some good reviews online for it, and they feature a broad spectrum of Euro craft brews, so why not?

The service staff was super friendly and very helpful - my server also studied for a semester at University of Maryland and knew some DC places I've been to, which was cool. The way beer flights work here is to pick one or two you are interested in, and then leave it to the staff to choose the others. You can also get cheese pairings with the beer, which I did not do (but maybe should have.) On the menu, I noticed Jopen's "Chai-ai-ai", a chai-spiced farmhouse ale, so chose that one along with Bacchus' traditional kriek. The other two, which happened to be the first two I served, were a surprise:


A "gelato ice cream" beer, in green, with a surprisingly-thin texture. Most ice cream beers are made with lactose, and thus creamy to replicate texture, but this one was thin and soft. I didn't catch the maker or ABV as it was chosen for me. But it was probably around 6.00%. 

and Maibock: malty, slightly sweet, and refreshing. Since it's May, it's a perfect outdoor beer (Maibock is "Mai", the month + "bock", the style.)

And the final two - a tart and sour kriek from Bacchus, a traditional style using cherries. I've had high-ABV beers like this before and it's nice to have one that's a little tamer (after all, it's the early afternoon!) And the "Chai-ai-ai"...that is an apt name because this thing is *loaded* with chai flavors, projecting a strong spice drawer aroma even a foot or so away. Seriously. The flavor delivers, as well, with tons of baking spices, chai, and full malt flavors with a surprisingly-snappy finish. Like the gelato beer, this is surprising as the texture is unusual given the style and flavors. Brewers tend to stick with a certain texture or style for certain flavors, and when they diverge, it's neat. 

According to my server, an Irish tourist recently visited Gollem's and chugged the chai beers, one after another. I do not advise this! It's a sipping beer, for sure, just like the gelato and the kriek. 

On the the next one! I'm a few days behind in posting since I'm so busy but I will get to it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment