Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, May 30, 2022

WSET II - next step, certification!

So for a few years, I've played around with the idea of getting more formal wine & spirits education. While there's a ton of free information out there - and a lot of it can be picked up on-the-job or through self-study - there also exists certification programs such as the Wine & Spirits Education Trust, the Cicerone program, and the Society of Wine Educators....not to mention the venerable Court of Master Sommeliers.

Last year, I completed the PernodRicard BarSmarts program, which was pretty intense and covered everything from proper bar management, the history of spirits and cocktails, comprehensive recipes, and proper mixology. Although I'm not behind the bar, I felt it was a fulfilling and interesting course, especially the part about keeping a bar and managing one's mis-en-place: where the best place for ice is (and how to make it!), how to store one's tools for easy access, and how to best handle guests and provide top-notch service. This program is recognized in the industry but is meant for service-focused staff, which I'm not (although I might have some news on that shortly, too!)

Therefore, I've decided to enroll in the Wine & Spirits Education Trust's Level II Award in Spirits course, which began on May 16th. It's a 5-week intensive course, covering the *technical* aspects of distilling: the tools, methods, hardware, and molecular chemistry surrounding the creation of distilled spirits. The course is going to be tough, and I will have to sit for a remote-invigilated exam in order to pass, but when I do I'll be ready to continue my work in the wine & spirits industry with a greater understanding of the complexities surrounding spirits. They also have programs on sake, wines, and sub-specializations on Scotch and Irish whisk(e)y.

So far, so good - I'm about two weeks in, and diving deep into the various distillation methods and what the constituent parts of a distillate is - "heads, hearts, and tails" and the different things distillers can do throughout the process to balance and extract "congeners", or flavors. It's really quite interesting but a lot of work! 

To help me study, I'm enjoying a juniper peppercorn saison from Ardent Craft Ales. Saisons work well as a canvas for herbs and other flavorings; peppercorns are a common ingredient but the addition of juniper is most welcome. It's clearer than I was expecting, but still fresh and delicious!




No comments:

Post a Comment