Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, August 14, 2017

K. Hansotia & Co. - East India Trading "Red Witch" [Nicaragua]

Here's a cigar that caught my eye on the most recent round of cigar auctions I won. Made by the original and historic East India Trading Co., now an imprint of K. Hansotia & Co. (the same folks who brought us the famed Gurkha line of cigars), today's smoke is a 5"x52 robusto called the "Red Witch", named so because of its special rosado Ecuadorian Habano wrapper. This debuted at the 2012 International Cigar and Pipe Tobacco Retailers trade show in Las Vegas.


The cigar is box-pressed, which means it's been pressed into a rectangular shape using a wooden vise. Aside from the fancy wrapper, the innards comprise of Jalapa-sourced Nicaragua longfillers, aged three years, and a Dominican binder. The wrapper is what's most unusual, as in all my years smoking cigars, I've never seen or heard of a rosado wrapper. So I'm curious to give it a try.

The bare cigar smells kinda nice, very gentle aroma. I used a Colibri V-cutter, and discovered that it was a bit dry - the capa cracked a little, with one bit of the wrapper starting to unfurl. I could have used my El Ligador cigar glue to fix it, but figured I'd just hold the end. I guess that's life.

Construction issues aside, it lights up quite nicely, and really catches.


Initial flavors are like an oily maduro; but as the cigar warms up and hits the "sweet spot", the flavor profile evens out and presents some strong yet not overpowering leather / tobacco flavors. These are accompanied by some earthy coffee beans with a hint of sweet spice - reminds me, in a way, of Drew Estate "ACID ONE" with its spice notes (but without the other, sweeter infusion). I wonder if that's a function of the wrapper. The aftertaste has a hint of that dreaded nicotine "sponginess", which can't be avoided probably given the blend, with some tendrils of the spice flavor hanging on.

I'd say this is more medium-full than medium.  The wrapper adds an interesting visual touch, and I liked that the sweet spice holds nicely throughout the smoke. The burn was also very even as well, and the ash held on for about half the cigar before it fell. I think the shorter robusto format is best for this kind of cigar; anything larger (like a Churchill) would probably be a bit too much for me. Otherwise, an interesting excursion into rosado wrapper territory.



No comments:

Post a Comment