Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, February 25, 2017

Snitz Creek Brewery - "Seltzer's Smokehaus #7" rauchbier

A few weeks back, I swung by Lebanon, PA-based Snitz Creek Brewery during a work trip up to the Lebanon Valley. Nestled in small-town Pennsylvania, the brewery is pretty small; it's a narrow but long storefront (kinda like a rowhouse) with a bar / small kitchen up front and a brewing system in the back. But like a lot of places in Central PA, everybody's super friendly and the bartender let me try a few samples (I was going to be driving an hour plus back to Carlisle, so it's not smart to have more than a couple of sips.) I saw today's beer - an 8.5% ABV rauchbier - up on the board, and knew I had to try it - and I'm glad I did! I immediately got a crowler of it to go.


Rauchbier is a German word for "smoked beer" and actually has a pretty interesting history. Like the gose, this is a style of beer that dates back to the 1500s. It's made with malted barley that is dried over an open flame, as opposed to drying in the sun or more modern methods like forced-heat (like, in a kiln, which is how much of the world's beer was made.) The result of stoving it over an open flame is a barley that imparts a smoky flavor which one doesn't get in any other method.

This particular example, called "Seltzer's Smokehaus #7", is made in partnership with Seltzer's Lebanon Bologna, 115-year-old smokehouse in Palmyra, PA. The malted barley used in the beer are smoked inside Seltzer's smokers; and the results were well-received (so much so it made the news!) And so of course I had to try this. This one comes in 32oz can (a "crowler.") Also known as a quart can, it's become my preferred size, and was filled up fresh from the tap before my eyes.


The beer pours an attractive dark amber color, and throws an light aroma of malts. It generates tan-colored foam.


It's a medium red color in the glass. Hard to see because of the pictures, but there's a lot of carbonation in there.


 I'm very impressed. It's one of the savoriest, smokiest beers I've ever had. The smoke flavor dominates, presenting a really strong flavor of sweet malts, wheat flavors, and mesquite throughout. The carbonation is just right and the beer has some tasty bready flavors on the long lingering finish. The flavor sticks with you for quite some time after the sip; I'm almost enjoying the lingering flavors more than I am the initial ones (almost!)

Also of note - this beer is 8.8% ABV, and that's pretty substantial. But you wouldn't know - this beer hides alcohol well and drinks far below its actual weight. It's a smooth, easy-drinking beer that I could see myself having quite often. The biggest attractor here of course is the smoke flavoring, and aside from drinking, I'm wondering what kind of ways one could cook with this - it'd go great in a beer bread or as a seasoning for some grilled chicken. Also, if I wanted a cigar with this, I'd of course pair it with Drew Estate's "MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured."

In the end, I'm a huge fan. This is a smokehouse in a can and a real home-run for Snitz Creek. Definitely give this place a look if you're ever in Lebanon County, PA - it's worth the trip for this beer alone (not to mention their "Opera Fudge", a chocolate stout, which I'll be reviewing later!)


No comments:

Post a Comment