Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Field Trip: Lonerider Brewing Co. beer tasting at D'Vines

As many of you know, D'Vines in Columbia Heights has beer-to-go: growler fills. My D'Vines growler, a 64-oz fliptop jug named "Rex," accompanied me to the gym on Saturday as I was planning to swing by after working out to grab some Founder's Breakfast Stout on draft (I happened to snag the last pour before the keg kicked!) But, as happens now and again, a brewery does a beer tasting in the lobby of the store.

Enter my man Glen from Lonerider Brewery.


Lonerider, which just celebrated its 6th anniversary a few weeks ago, is based out of Raleigh, NC. They have a few signature brews: the Sweet Josie (a 6.1% ABV brown ale), the Shotgun Betty (a 5.8% ABV Hefeweizen), and the award-winning Deadeye Jack (a 6.0% ABV porter) along with a few more seasonal and specialty brews (including an amazing-sounding "Hangman" barleywine! You know how much I love the barleywine.)

So Glen is up here in DC, repping the brewery and giving out samples of these three beers. I, of course, am interested and Glen is happy to oblige by pouring me some samples (and also giving out some sweet swag!)


I had a sample of each, and all were pretty good. The Shotgun Betty had a pretty interesting spice note, which I think is clove or allspice. The Sweet Josie was good as well, pretty straightforward brown ale that was tasty (in a simple, 'good' sort of way. Like mac n' cheese - not gourmet, but always hits the spot.) The Deadeye Jack was my favorite of the three. It was smooth and delicious with some great malt notes. I went home with a six-pack.

But Glen had one more surprise up his sleeve. From his cooler bag he pulls an unreleased brew and pours me a taster. This is the "The Hops You Rode in On," a 4.4% fresh-hop IPA. It was just brewed a few weeks ago.



It was my favorite by far. I really enjoyed the crispness of it. It was super-clean with a taste of bright hops and fresh citrus, which is really great. It reminded me of Stone's "Enjoy By..." series. It should be hitting the DC market in a few months, so be on the lookout for it! It's going to be a great, light session ale that I would not mind drinking all day. Glen gave me a can (!) to take back with me, and since today is in the low 60's, I cracked it open and basked in the fresh-hop paradise that is "The Hops You Rode In On."

So be on the lookout for these - Lonerider is definitely worth trying and I'm looking forward to what they're going to come up with next.

No comments:

Post a Comment