Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Stone Brewing Co. - "18th Anniversary" American double imperial IPA

Today's beer review is another spur-of-the-moment purchase...got this at Whole Foods on P Street. It was $9.99.


It's an 8.5% ABV American double imperial IPA released by Stone Brewing Co. in celebration of their 18th anniversary. Dry-hopped with El Dorado hops, it's billed as the "hoppiest golden-brown IPA on the planet."

Well, let's see about that.


It has an amber-colored pour, with a big foamy head. Lots of lacing on the glass. It's still got that amber color, and is a pleasant hazy orange when candled.


I like the aroma coming off the beer - sweet and piquant with a bitter tinge to it.

After trying it, I can confirm it is, indeed, pretty hoppy. It's got that Sierra Nevada Torpedo-style bitterness, with a crisp amber lager-esque finish and very little aftertaste.

But that's it.

I like that it's crisp, straightforward, and is tasty...but it's missing something. It doesn't have the gravitas that a true IPA of this type ought to have. Other super-hoppy IPAs have a stronger, headier feel to them, and I felt this beer was thinner than I would have liked. Sure, the flavor was good, but it didn't seem to have that extra power that I might have expected from an 8.5% ABV beer. I was left feeling a little let down. Well - you win some, you lose some. If you're into thin, crisp IPAs (closer to an IPL) then this is the beer for you. If not - I'd suggest looking at something else to scratch that imperial IPA itch.


No comments:

Post a Comment