Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, September 8, 2014

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - Beer Camp compilation

So last week, I got an email from Jesse, who helps run Irving Wines and Spirits on Mt. Pleasant St. Jesse informed me that they had just received a few boxes of Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp collaboration, and if I wanted some. To be honest, I needed to do a little research to figure out what "Beer Camp" was. A quick internet search determined that it was, in fact, a box of 12 one-time-only collaboration beers, each from a different brewery. Score! I ordered a case and picked it up the following day.

Rather than issue forth a stream of single-beer reviews that will clog your inbox and test your patience, I'm going to fire off some quick, first-blush reviews of the Beer Camp box. As you can see, there's twelve in all, and the first three are reviewed today.


Allagash Brewing Co. - Myron's Walk Belgian-style pale ale (5.3% ABV)

First up we have Allagash's "Myron's Walk," a Belgian-style pale. Fast pour, typical Belgian smells with a twist: picking up some roasted marshmallow smells. Eye is cloudy orange, as usual for Belgians.


The taste is good - nice spice flavors, the coriander definitely comes out. It's light but solid, good flavors throughout,  with a long wheaty finish, and lingering smooth alcohol tastes. I like it! It's not too much different than a lot of other Belgians out there, so it's really nothing terribly new - just tasty beer. Next!

Firestone Walker Brewing Co. - Torpedo pilsner (5.2% ABV) 



It's light yellow, as expected. Mostly clear with very little aroma and a thin head. The taste is thin with a wave of hops. I guess I was expecting a new twist, for this collaboration, but still has the backing of a pilsner, though - watery and thin. Probably a good session beer, something to drink all day at the beach. I'm not a huge pilsner fan - too light for me.


Ninkasi Brewing Co. - Double Latte coffee milk stout (7.5% ABV)



This beer, brewed by Eugene, OR-based Nikasi Brewing Company, is made in collaboration with Sumptown Coffee Roasters, a chain of coffee joints across the US. The beer itself is a milk stout, which is a stout made with lactose. Invented in England and marketed as a "nutritional" beer, the milk stout now has maintained a certain popularity as a smooth, dark beer. My favorite is Lancaster Milk Stout.

The beer has chocolate brown pour with a light aroma. Nice deep brown color, almost black. The taste is interesting -  unlike many coffee beers, this one has a levity to it. It's like ordering an americano, with lots of milk. Interesting! The finish shows the milk sugar coming out - smooth, creamy taste. There are no significant roasted flavors, and very pleasant and deep. I like it! This one is my favorite of the three, and I'd definitely seek it out again for future drinking. Stay tuned for more Beer camp reviews later!

No comments:

Post a Comment