Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Founders Brewing Co. - "Kentucky Breakfast Stout"

As you may recall, last year at Shirlington I came across Founders Brewing Co's "Breakfast Stout". It's rated a pure 100/100 on BeerAdvocate (the highest possible rating) and is popular in the DC market. I'd also grabbed a growler full at D'Vines at some point and enjoyed it. The beer was good, nothing to really blow your socks off in my opinion, but good and very drinkable nonetheless.

Apparently, Founders also releases a once-yearly "Kentucky" version, and 11.2% ABV stout aged in bourbon barrels. My man Jesse at Irving Wines and Spirits in Mt. Pleasant made sure I got two bottles when they came in. They're $6.99 a piece. They are highly sought-after - Jesse was only able to sell 2 bottles per customer. I've never seen them retail - only an "under the counter" kind of thing.


OK, let's see what the fuss is about. It pours black, with a dark khaki head that actually lightens up significantly over a minute or so. Lots of tan-colored foam clings to the glass. It's so dark, it can't be candled.


Has some of the usual aromas - notes of chocolate and coffee. This one also smells like wood.

In tasting it, I can see the attraction. There's an initial burst of boozy flavor, followed by some chocolate in the middle, and a nice warming sensation on the way down with faint bourbon and chocolate notes on the aftertaste. Super drinkable and amazingly smooth. No wonder it's also rated a 100 on BeerAdvocate!

I was surprised, honestly, at how good this is. I was expecting a sweet, whiskey taste, strong and hard and boozy, reminiscent of all the barrel-aged beers out there, but ended up getting a much smoother experience. It's almost like chocolate milk in its consistency, yet super strong and powerful. Well worth the $6.99. I wonder how long this would age. It didn't last that long in my house - so grab one of you see it!


No comments:

Post a Comment