Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Weekly Cocktail: "Johnny Gaucho"

Sometimes I decide to build a cocktail based on a spirit I purchased on a whim. Recently, I saw this neat corn/rye blend from Detroit's Two James Distillery, picked it up and enjoyed it. It's billed as an "East Meets West" kind of thing, an ode to the savory nature of Japanese ramen broth. It's tasty, and although the corn and rye really push through on the palate, it does have a bit of an unusual element. So like any spirit I purchase, I also wondered how it would be in a cocktail, therefore I whipped one up that showcases some of the umami, herbal elements of the base spirit. 

I chose a take on a Rob Roy / Manhattan, as the base spirit is the dominant ingredient. For the second part, I had this sample of Astobiza red vermouth from Pais Vasco in Spain, which is quite herbal and would go well. Rounding out the drink are some orange bitters, and instead of a garnish, I used Luxardo.

So here's "Johnny Gaucho" , and to make it you'll need:

  • 2oz Two James "Johnny Smoking Gun" whiskey
  • 1oz Astobiza red vermouth
  • 3 dashes Regan's Orange Bitters
  • 2 dashes Luxardo cherry liqueur

Add all ingredients into a large mixing glass, add a handful of ice, and stir for 40 seconds. Strain through a Hawthorne strainer into coupes. 

I omitted the garnish (typically a cherry) but added a tiny dash of Luxardo, which was cool. Overall the cocktail was a touch bitter, with the vermouth really bringing strong notes of cola and root herbs. Definitely great for fans of darker, more aromatic cocktails. 





No comments:

Post a Comment