Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, May 9, 2021

3 Stars Brewing Co. - Italian Pilsner

Today's beer is a local DC variant of a trend that's become increasingly popular in the last year or so - the Italian pilsner. Italian-style pilsners are very similar in concept to German-style (aka the original pilsner) but instead of emphasizing the malts, the hops take center stage. This makes for a much drier, more aromatic beer. According to craftbeer.com, it was Firestone Walker Brewing Co. that kicked off the Italian pilsner trend with their "Pivo Pils", although more and more breweries seem to be trying their hand at the style.

The beer I'm having comes from DC's own 3 Stars Brewing Co., based in the Lamond Riggs neighborhood of far Northeast. It's  5.20% ABV and made with Pilsner and Carapils malts, and dry-hopped with Huell Melon with Tettnang hops. These aren't hops I've come across too much, so I'm eager to see how they do. 

Pours swiftly into my CBC 2017 commemorative tulip glass (I lack a "proper" pilsner glass, not that the size or shape of glassware makes a critical difference) and it generates a fluffy, lacy white head. 

Taste-wise, it's a clean, crisp pilsner that's quite dry, as expected. I'm getting a touch of green melon and some sea salt, and it finishes with that familiar malty goodness that pilsner-lovers will welcome. Fans of "regular" pilsners will definitely notice the dryness...sort of like a combination of a dry-hopped pale ale and a Pilsner Urquell. I find it quite refreshing, and although I'm not sure if this has been released to stores yet, but you can grab it for $18.99 / 4pk 16oz cans at the brewery, and I heartily recommend it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment