Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Thursday, February 13, 2020

Toppling Goliath Brewing Co. - "Pompeii" IPA

Well, back in Iowa for the week. It's much colder here than last time around, and in the midst of a blowing snowstorm, I grabbed this volcanic four-pack of pints for $12.99 at Hy-Vee in south Des Moines. It's a 5.80% ABV India Pale Ale from Toppling Goliath Brewing Co. out of Decorah, IA. I didn't make it that far north, but old friend Sarah S. told me in no uncertain terms I have to try TG's stuff, so here we go.


A single-hop IPA made with Mosaic hops, this was one of several IPAs that TG currently makes. I wasn't interested in anything super bitter, of which the other options seemed to be, so I opted for a softer hop bill. Paper box says the beer was canned on 12/26/19. Well, not the FRESHEST I've had, but since I can't make it up to Decorah, it'll do just fine. Pours a dark orange color into my classy paper hotel cup (no judgment, please) and generates a soft aroma.

Hey, very nice. This is quite soft, somewhat thin, with some very noticeable flavors of pineapple, guava, and oranges. A lot of flavor comes in at the end - fresh hops, some citrusy goodness, a dash of pine needles. But supremely drinkable and a perfect session IPA, since it's only 5.80%. It's not particularly hoppy, either, so would be great for someone looking for a more gentle IPA.



No comments:

Post a Comment