Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Contrary Brewing Co. - "Pollinator" honey ale

While grabbing a plate of wings and some beers at El Bait Shop in downtown Des Moines a few days back, I spotted this brew on their (extremely extensive) menu. Looking for something softer to go with my dry-rub wings, I opted for this beer, called "Pollinator". It's a 5.50% ABV ale from Muscatine, IA-based Contrary Brewing Co., located right on the banks of the Mississippi on the Iowa / Illinois border.


The neatest part of this is that it's made with local Iowa honey. Sounds good, right? I've had a few ales made with honey over the years, all have been pretty good. This one doesn't disappoint - I think what I like most about this is the texture. The honey softens up and thickens the beer and gives it a slightly sweet aftertaste. The wheat here is somewhat mild, and really just forms the base to show off the particular soft sweetness of the honey. Quite refreshing and tasty, and at 13 IBUs it's great for beer drinkers who may not like overly fizzy or hoppy beers. I ended up getting a crowler of this to go, and was a nice beer to relax with after a long day of work!



No comments:

Post a Comment