Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, July 7, 2019

Alewerks Brewing Co. - "Kalypso's Island" Belgian blonde ale

I actually wasn't intending to write about this - I was simply looking for a post-shift beer to relax with, not to review, so bought this single 12oz bottle at D'Vines for $5. Made by Alewerks Brewing Co., it's called "Kalypso's Island" and is a Belgian-style blonde ale made with coconut, pineapple, and nutmeg. Beyond that, I admit that I didn't look too closely into it- I like Belgian ales, I like pineapple and coconut (in fact, one of my most favorite beers on earth is made with coconut and pineapple: Upland Brewing's "Latitude Adjustment") so I figured, what better beer to drink on a swampy, humid evening in Washington?

This beer is pleasingly soft with a definite note of Belgian yeast; there is a dose of coconut meat flavor and a slight tang of watery pineapple nectar - like the juice that's left in the can of canned pineapple chunks. No real showing of hops, and not as full of flavor as the "Latitude Adjustment", but that's okay - it's fine as an easy drinking ale! Very lush finish and aftertaste is of pineapples.

As I was savoring the flavor, I casually turned the bottle over to learn more about it when something caught my eye that made me double-take.

It's 9.30% ABV.

Wait, what?

Even now I don't see how this is possible. Nothing about this beer indicates it's 9.3 points, nothing at all. It's light, refreshing, and has the body of a 4.50% ABV lager, not a beer pushing 10.00%. So if yo're looking for a refreshing, tasty beer that really hides the alcohol, look no further than this heavyweight-in-disguise.



No comments:

Post a Comment