Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, February 23, 2019

Basic City Beer - "Bask" IPA

I'm in Charlottesville, VA, this weekend attending a professional conference, so of course I will need to examine the local beer offerings. My Amtrak train out of Washington was significantly delayed on Thursday due to a Norfolk Southern freight train breaking in half (!) outside Culpeper, so by the time I actually arrived, my options were limited. Luckily I landed at the Mellow Mushroom, a celebrated local pizza joint, where I ordered some wings and grabbed a local beer - a 7.60% ABV India Pale Ale from Waynesboro, VA-based Basic City Beer. 

Beer doesn't have to be experimental or funky to be good. This IPA, called "Bask", has a lot of that classic, West Coast IPA flavor...a brassy, medium-bodied beer with a good mixture of sweetness (mostly on the finish) and bitterness (throughout the beer). What I really like about this is that it's supremely drinkable - not a lot of harsh bitterness which crops up in some West Coast IPAs. It also doesn't taste like it's 7.60% ABV, either. Definitely more on the session end of IPAs, and in fact, this would be a good choice for someone looking to get classic IPA flavor without a lot of bitterness. It also paired nicely with Thai chili wings, as the hop bitterness balances out the spiciness of the wings. I'll definitely be on the lookout for more beers by Basic City in the future!



No comments:

Post a Comment