Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, June 9, 2018

Seven Mountains Wine Cellars - NV "Rattlehead Red" chambourcin [Pennsylvania]

Pennsylvania is not a state normally known for wine production, but if you look closely, you'll find a rather vibrant winemaking culture. According to PennsylvaniaWine.com, there are more than 200 wineries in Pennsylvania which produce, in total, over a million gallons of wine per year. It's the fifth biggest wine-producing state in the US! Today's wine is from Seven Mountains Wine Cellars based in Spring Mills, Centre County, Pennsylvania. Located not too far from State College, this small-production winery is owned by Scott and Mary Ann Bubb.

The wine is called "Rattlehead Red", and is 100% Chambourcin, a French/American hybrid grape that I have not come across before. Created by French vintner Joannes Seyve in the 1860s, the grape is quite popular in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and other mid-Atlantic states.


I got this on recommendation from Carolyn at the Carlisle House B&B in Carlisle, PA, although I should note my first interaction with Seven Mountains was at the Castlerigg Wine Shop (only a few doors down on Hanover Street in Carlisle.) Along with stuff from other Pennsylvania wineries like The Vineyard at Grandview, Castlerigg has a lot of Seven Mountains wine and is listed on their website as a "satellite location." This bottle sells for $15.75 at Castlerigg.

Note this is NV - or "non-vintage", which means the grapes do not come from a single vintage year.


Pours out a blood red color, quite vibrant, and produces a strong aroma of alcohol sweetness and overripe cherries.

Color me very surprised, but this wine is actually kind of ... sour. The wine is pretty dry and acidic, presenting some good leather / earth notes, with no tannins to speak of, and a bit oxidized on the finish. The sourness reminds me a lot of Omero Cellars' pinot gris, actually. After fifteen or so minutes more of "opening up", the wine gets a little nicer, with more of the earthy flavors coming through and the sourness mellowing out a bit. However, it's still a bit oxidized on the finish, a taste which lasts quite long in the mouth after swallowing.

The jury is still out on this one. Since this is my first date with Chambourcin, perhaps I just didn't know what to expect, but I'm curious to see if other examples of this varietal have similar qualities, especially the sourness. Initially, I wondered if I got a bad bottle. The cork was OK, and made a pop when opened, so the seal was good, so I think it just may be the grape. I paired it with some spinach tortellini and a seasoned pork filet; a good pairing although I may have wanted something less oxidized.



No comments:

Post a Comment