Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Friday, July 14, 2017

Block 15 Brewing Co. - "Sticky Hands" ale

You'll notice that a lot of the reviews I do are of aged beer. Certain types of beer, just like wine, have the potential to get better with age. Some are high in alcohol, which is helpful for aging, and some types have wild yeast which naturally preserve the ingredients and cause the beer to evolve over time both in flavor and texture.

But not all beer can be aged; in fact, some are meant not to. Here's one such ale that's comes to me all the way from the West Coast - it's "Sticky Hands", a 8.1% ABV ale by Block 15 Brewing Co. in Corvallis, Oregon.


Advertised as "The Hop Experience Ale", I was able to obtain this from an undisclosed source, and since apparently the Block 15 guys are so passionate about fresh beer that they aren't at all happy when their beer gets resold, my source chooses to remain anonymous. The brewers would slap that beer out of my hands of they knew I hadn't drank it already.


It comes in a pint can - the hop mixture is a secret. It pours golden yellow, and generates a pleasant, fruity aroma. Kinda par for the course for this kind of beer.


Initially, the hops come through with a tangy, slightly metallic flavor. As the beer develops, I'm tasting some honey flavors coupled with tropical and resinous hops - notes of grapefruit? Thick texture, too. I like that the hops provide great flavor and some bitterness (but not TOO much, despite the beer's generous 110 IBUs.) Overall, finish is quite fresh with strong floral, bitter notes.

There's definitely an attractiveness to a bright, syrupy, and fresh beer, and I feel this entry provide interesting flavor without becoming sweet. I feel like this is a better version of Bell's vaunted "Hopslam", and without the price tag.  I also like how it's got a bit more citrus character than Hopslam, too. Regarding the aging - while this beer was much older than recommended by the time I had it, it was still tasty. So if you can get your (sticky) hands on this beer, give it a go! It's worth a try.


No comments:

Post a Comment