Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Sunday, October 16, 2016

Platform Brewing Co. - "Orange Blossom Gose" gose

Here's another from my trip to Ohio this summer - I had so many good beers it's hard not to keep reviewing them! This one is from Platform Brewing Co. in the Ohio City neighborhood of Cleveland. It's their "Orange Blossom Gose" and is the first beer from Platform I tried (basically got it my first night in Ohio.)

Gose is a style of wheat beer originally brewed in Germany in the 1500s that has become super popular in American markets lately. Generally, they're lighter than most beers, very tart, sometimes made with ingredients like salt, coriander, cinnamon, or herbs. Today's is made from three varieties of malt (Pilsen, Pale Wheat and Vienna), Saaz hops, San Diego yeast, and has orange peel, sea salt, orange blossom water, and flaked wheat added.


I like the aroma - very clean with just a bit of citrus.


In the glass, it's a light orange, and is cloudy when candled. 


The beer is soft, tangy, slightly sour, with just a hint of orange rind / zest in there. It's also got a flat grain taste; much like the old Weetabix cereal, which is kinda nice. That's probably the flaked wheat they added as adjunct.

I like the tart, almost astringent taste. It's not Atomic Warhead sour, like the "Old Pro" from Union, but just sour enough to be enjoyable. I picked this up for $11.99 at the Giant Eagle in Berea, so not a bad price for 6. When colleagues Kevin, Matt, and I visited Platform, I inquired about this - the bartender said it was their most popular seasonal beer and they had a hard time keeping it in stock. I can see why! But if you can't find it, don't worry - it seems everyone is doing a gose these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment