Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Elysian Brewing Co. - Dragonstooth oatmeal stout

Today's review is another oatmeal stout - one from Seattle, WA-based Elysian Brewing Company. My brother Dan recommended this. I got this from Whole Foods on P Street, and never really noticed they carried a rather extensive line of Elysian until I went looking for it. Who knew? There's a lot of other releases from Elysian; I'm definitely interested in trying the others. But anyways - on the Dragonstooth: a 7.5% ABV oatmeal stout.


The beer is black in color. Black pour, black in the glass, black when held up to the light. Just the outermost edge is a chocolate brown when candled. It has a khaki-colored head that dissipates quickly.



The taste is good; a good example of a dark, smooth stout. Very little burnt tastes, which is very nice, and a good mouthfeel overall. The smoothness is what I like most, not the flavor (which is generally typical for a stout.) The texture is almost like a milk stout - not bubbly, just smooth and polished. The finish is dark and sweet, with just a hint of burnt stuff.

The verdict is that this stout is good. Not amazing, not awesome, just good. I like the texture and the alcohol content is respectable. It's tasty and also pretty affordable, so it's definitely a session beer you could enjoy all evening. But the best part about this beer is the price - for a 22oz bottle (a "bomber") it's $5.99. Not bad at all! This is also an inoffensive beer you could bring to parties or over to a friend's for dinner. I wouldn't mind having in my fridge now and again, just in case I'm in the mood for a dark stout.


No comments:

Post a Comment