Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Renwood Winery - 2011 Zinfandel (California)

Today's wine offering is a rather delicious California zinfandel from Renwood Winery, located in Plymouth, CA. The wine was recommended to me by none other than Charles Bissell of Charles Fine Wines in Glastonbury. I was looking for a red wine that was appropriate to sip by itself, but also one that had some strength to it. I usually drink jammier, smoother French reds and I admit, aside from my expeditions to Napa wine country and a few glasses here and there, I don't have much experience with domestic wines (especially domestic reds.)

Anyways - the wine. 


The nose is of alcohol - a bit astringent with no discernible flavors. As you can see, the color is a pleasant deep red which turns pale purple when held up to the light.


This wine took me off guard because it's so smooth. I was expecting something with more tannins to it, perhaps more sour and acidic, but it's really quite mellow and delivers great fruit flavors. Look for nice tastes like raspberries and blueberries. It's damn good. It's crisp on the finish with good fruit flavors on the way out. 

I got this for Christmas afternoon at my father's, so we didn't pair it with dinner...I was looking for a wine that can be enjoyed on its own and this is definitely it. If you want to pair it with dinner, don't overpower it with heavy Italian meals or curry dishes - maybe roast pork, some lighter chicken fare, or unsauced pasta is in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment