Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, January 7, 2013

Morland Brewing Co. - "Old Speckled Hen"

Many of you may not have heard of "Old Speckled Hen." The beer, which uses quotation marks on the box, is an English malt ale found in some specialty stores.


Originally brewed in 1979 for the 50th anniversary of the MG car manufactory, this beer is brewed by the Morland Brewing Company. Formerly of Abingdon, England, they moved their brewery to St. Edmund's after Morland got bought by Greene King.

According to beer lore, there was an old shop car at the MG plant in England which was used by workers. It was pretty messy at the plant, and the car became flecked with gold paint quite a bit, and as a result the workers dubbed the car the "ol' speckled 'un," later clarified to "Old Speckled Hen." The beer's logo is even in a similar shape to that of the MG logo.

The beer itself is very enjoyable. I've had it before, but maybe three or four times. It's an exceedingly smooth, mellow, malty ale with a definite sweetness. It tastes just like it looks - clear and crisp. There are also light toffee notes in there, which is not unpleasant at all. The color is a wonderful shade of caramel. The beer has a fair amount of carbonation, and it has a very thin white head when poured.



I must admit that I tried it partially because the name interested me but also because of the color.

There isn't a very strong nose to this beer (unlike some others I have had lately) but when pouring, you can detect a slight earthy smell.

You could serve this beer just by itself, or maybe with some lighter fare like a chicken dish. I'm imagining a plate of dill sausages, some eggs, black bread, and baked beans along with a crispy mug of Old Speckled Hen. If you're looking for a delicious, approachable beer that's not too harsh, try this one. It's not my favorite but it's a delicious beer for a cold night.

2 comments:

  1. I know this post has been up for a while but the quotes around the name have intrigued me for sometime now...and Google led me here for my answer. Based on your description and experience I'll definitely be giving it a try in the near future! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for the comment, and glad you found this interesting. It's a tasty brew for sure! They also make other variants, including "Old Crafty Hen".

      Delete