Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Atlas Brew Works - "Batch 500" barleywine

Wow, check this out - a super-rare beer from DC-based Atlas Brew Works. I got this gratis courtesy of my man Frankie, who is a rep for Atlas. He came by D'Vines to do a tasting, we got to chatting about the blog, and I mentioned that I hadn't tried any of Atlas's more rare stuff. He came back the next day and gave this to me. Quite generous of him, and much appreciated!


This beer is called "Batch 500" and is a 10.00% ABV oak-aged barleywine made with Brettanomyces yeast, brewed in commemoration of Atlas' 5th anniversary in 2018. As you may know, I'm a big barleywine fan so this is exciting as I haven't had a barleywine by Atlas before. The Brettanomyces is a bold choice, and I'm not sure how it will work here - this yeast is typically used in lighter beers and imparts a funky, somewhat vegetal flavor that I feel might get lost in the syrupy, heaviness of barleywines. But only one way to find out.

Wax top is not overly thick (here's looking at you, "Brett de Vinum") and is easily removed with a knife. Cap seems loose, though, after peeling off the wax. Upon opening, there's no hiss, pours somewhat flatly. Hmm, I hope this didn't leak.

Generates a bone-white head after agitating. Not much aroma.


Immediately this strikes me as much more medium-bodied than some barleywines I've had...barleywines, as a style, are known to be typically rather syrupy and heavy, but this one is quite smooth and soft. That's pretty cool, actually. As I enjoy the beer, there's a good measure of alcohol notes which develop, and if you like heavy wood flavors, then "Batch 500" will definitely butter your biscuit. There's solid notes of oak, brown sugar, and a touch of maple in there. Lots of  At 45 IBUs, it's not particularly hoppy, although nor can I detect any of that Brett funk. This beer does not have the kinda of boozy sweetness aftertaste that many barleywines have, but does have some of the attendant wood flavors.

I was perhaps expecting something a bit more thick and overpowering, but I can definitely respect the way this is drinkable. It's not often we come across a barleywine-style ale that is both 10.00% ABV and also NOT a boozy bomb. I like the idea of trying to incorporate Brettanomyces, although to be frank I really don't detect its influence whatsoever. This doesn't make it a bad beer, though, and although this beer is unfortunately no longer produced, but if it was, I'd suggest it as a good place to start if you're thinking of getting into barleywines. However, I do encourage you to check out other Atlas offerings like their "Rowdy Rye" and "NSFW", both excellent. Thanks again to Frankie, and Atlas, for the generous contribution to the blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment