Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Monday, May 1, 2017

Wine Flash: Pico Maccario Winery's 2015 "Villa Della Rossa" Barbera [Italy]

Here's a quick snapshot of some wine I had recently. I'm in Connecticut for a few days, visiting the folks, and picked this up at Charles Fine Wine in Glastonbury, CT. It's Pico Maccario Winery's "Villa Della Rossa", a 2015-vintage red wine made of 100% Barbera grapes originating the Piedmont region of Italy. 


I've had Barbera a few times before; a few years back I reviewed a Trader Joe's VINTJS barbera that was pretty good. Sometimes known as a "lesser" grape, Barbera has actually seen a resurgence in the last twenty or so years, so it's quite available.

Ruby-red in the glass, it's actually surprisingly dry, and honestly quite salty. It's hard to find fruit flavors in there, although I generally know Barbera to have some dark fruitiness to it. There was none of that in this wine. Full-bodied and strong, the dryness really dominates and it served as a good counter to some veal parm, although I may have opted for a Cabernet Sauvignon. But, if you're into dry Italian reds, give this a shot - I believe this was in the neighborhood of $16 a bottle.


No comments:

Post a Comment