Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Field Trip: Great Lakes Brewing Co. - Cleveland, OH

No beer-related visit to Cleveland would be complete without a stop at Great Lakes Brewing Co. One of Cleveland's largest breweries, its beer is widely-distributed and available all across the country. As a macrobrewery (or almost a macrobrewery) the whole operation is huge; there's a massive brewery coupled with a gift shop, bar, and restaurant. I didn't get a chance to take a tour of the brewery itself, just their restaurant / taproom. There's a couple of inside bar spaces with cool exposed brick, and restaurant-wise there was pleasant outdoor seating, in which my colleagues and I sat.


I was particularly interested in trying some pub-exclusive beers; oftentimes breweries that have a restaurant might do special beers only available in-house. I've tried most of the beers Great Lakes has to offer (including my favorite, the "Nosferatu" red ale) and so a few caught my eye:


I was particularly interested in their "Luckiest Drinker on Earth", a 7.0% sour ale. Proceeds from this beer go to support research into ALS, or Lou Gehrig's Disease. The beer itself throws a sour aroma, with a dark red color reminiscent of an Old Guardian barleywine I had a few years back. Taste-wise, it has a burst of sour apple flavors, slightly sugary, with lots of tart grain flavors. It's interesting, definitely worth a try if you like sour beers.


Next up is their "Lake Erie Monster", a 9.10% ABV Imperial IPA. It's their seasonal release, and is a strong and slightly sweet beer with TONS of hops. It wasn't overpowering, but had that bitter fruit hop flavor I've come to expect with the genre (despite only being 80 IBUs.) In the end, a pretty good IPA. Great for fans of strong beer.


Finally, I really wanted to try their "Blackout" stout with mole. It's a 9.00 % ABV Russian Imperial Stout infused with poblano peppers and cocoa nibs. Sounds excellent! Our server also mentioned that this beer was made to commemorate a 2003 rolling blackout in Cleveland. I wonder if the beer wsa brewed during the power outage, and if the blackout changed the consistency at all (for more on that, see my discussion of Port City's "Derecho Common" from 2013.)

It's heavy and smooth, with serious notes of baker's chocolate power and some roasted malts. There's a hint of peppers in there, just a slight hint of spiciness, with a nice lactose mouthfeel. Reminds me a lot of oak barrel-aged stouts. A really solid dark beer that would be great for fall / winter, and one I wouldn't mind having often (and aging as well!)


They also had a crowler machine at the bar, for draft beer to go. You know how some places offer "growler" fills, where draft beer is poured into a jug for you to take home? A crowler is the same principle, just in a can. The bartender will take an unsealed can blank, fill up your beer of choice, and then put in in a special machine that presses the lid on and seals it. You then have a 32oz can of beer to drink whenever you like. Well, not being one to pass that up - I grabbed a fill of the "Blackout" for later. 


And, of course, it's best enjoyed fresh:




No comments:

Post a Comment