Welcome

If you're new here, read this!

 Hello!  Thanks for visiting my blog. Here you'll find a ton of stuff - over 460 articles...everything from beer reviews, interviews, wi...

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Sierra Nevada Beer Camp, Set #2

Here's part 2 of my journey through Sierra Nevada's Beer Camp compilation series! Part 3 will also be posted in a few days as well.


Russian River Brewing Co. - "Yvan the Great" Belgian-style blonde ale (6.3% ABV)


It's got a clear yellow pour, some aroma, looks a little thin. It's a Belgian style blonde, so it's going to be lighter.

The flavor is pleasant but thin - it's got some of the usual Belgian tastes, but thinner and more carbonated than they usually are. When I look for a Belgian, I want something thick and heavily spiced. However, this is a blonde ale, so it's meant to be lighter. Pretty good beer, nothing spectacular.

Ballast Point Brewing Co. - Electric Ray India pale lager (8.5% ABV)


This beer is an IPL - or an India Pale Lager. It's made similarly to the common IPA (India Pale Ale) but is made with bottom-fermenting yeast. This is done to make the beer a little lighter, not so bitter.

The Electric Ray beer has a light amber eye, looks pretty much like generic beer. Not too much aroma. The taste is rather good - it's got nice smoky malt flavors, with a strong taste of deep and pleasant hops, crisp and nicely balanced. I like it a lot.

Victory Brewing Co. - "Alt Route" altbier (6.6% ABV)


I admit this was the first time I'd tried an "altbier." Not knowing what it was, I had to look it up...turns out, it's a kind of beer originating in Germany which ferments on the top (hence alt, or high, in German.)

It's a nice deep brown color, deep red when candled. Taste-wise, it's delicious. Slightly sour, with a serious backbone of malt. Not a lot of hops, but definitely a full, crisp taste that carries well throughout the beer. I was surprised. I could really get in to this, and I wish it was available commercially. Note - after trying this altbier, I ran out and bought some delicious Union City Brewing Co.'s "Balt" altbier.

Bell's Brewery - "Maillard's Odyssey" imperial dark ale (8.5% ABV)


This beer has a deep, dark pour. I should have known, since it is a dark ale.

There's serious notes of caramel and chocolate in there. Some carbonation, not a lot though, with a nice feel to it. The flavors are deep and polished on the way down.

Kinda typical. Not bad, but typical. It has a lot of the same sweet stout flavors and textures that you might get in a beer of this caliber. I'd drink it again, but it's nothing to write home about. Stay tuned for the final installment in a few days!


No comments:

Post a Comment